home   about   shop   reviews   news archive   forum   ordering   contact   links

Go Back   Overclockers NZ Forums > General > Gaming

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 18-12-2004, 11:15 AM   #1
jeef
jeef

Game Controller, button remapping?

heya all,

Ive got a xbox > usb convertor, and using the xbcd driver and it is GREAT! i can remap the buttons from the Game Controllers (in control panel) and save profiles, i prefer this for games like madded.

BUT, I also have a psx > usb convertor, which does work, and well, and the driver that comes with it enables the rumble which also works, but my problem is that I cant find any software that will allow me to remap the buttons (as per above).

Does anyone know of any 'generic' way of remapping the buttons of any game controller within windows? (xp in my case).

by remapping, i mean making button1 recognised as button4 in games. this is handy in madden because, while you can customise the buttons, some you cant, some are relative to other buttons. There are preset configs that match the game on the xbox, but it assumes a different numbering of buttons, eg: the left trigger needs to be button5, where its normly button7 (i think)

cheers,
Jeff
Old 18-12-2004, 02:04 PM   #2
.weasel.
IT RETURNS!

you should be able to remap game controller buttons under controll panel in xp. just go into game controllers properties, and hit "properties" on the installed gamepad, and you should be able to remap the buttons from there

when i made my psx to parallel adapter, i had to remap every button, as they where useless to me in their default places. Then again i was doing it under 98, so im not sure how its done under xp, but i assume its no different
Old 18-12-2004, 05:11 PM   #3
jeef
jeef

really? I must be doing a man look or something cause i just cant see any means for re-mapping? the only settings i can chage is the calibration...

the xbcd has its on util for remapping the buttons, which kicks to life when you hit properties, then when you exit the util it pops back to the winXP default 'gamepad' properties, where you can clearly see that your remapping has changed (the numbers corresponding to your new map light as you press the buttons)

on a side note, i found a neat lil util for using the 'joystick' as a mouse, will come in handy in games that dont allow you to use the gamepad in the menu (ie: madded), its a lil trciky to use but means you dont need a mouse at your htpc.

http://www.mystikeep.com/shareware/j...e/joymouse.htm
Old 20-12-2004, 11:37 AM   #4
jeef
jeef

After mor searching ive found this: http://www.autohotkey.com/
which looks quite good.

Allowing one to write scripts to do one wants. Ive had a quick look at it and theres an example script on using the joystick as a mouse. Also, it looks like it has the possibility to remap joystick buttons...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: