home   about   shop   reviews   news archive   forum   ordering   contact   links

Go Back   Overclockers NZ Forums > General > Open Topic

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 4.43 average. Display Modes
Old 10-12-2009, 10:32 AM   #1
Dstruktiv

Xbox 360 Modding (JTAG Exploit)

I was going to write up a guide because information on this hack is so scattered it's time consuming to research it all, but then I saw this:

http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=698684

It's a very straight forward guide and I can verify it works.

Basically this opens up your Xbox and lets you do whatever you want with it. Homebrew, Linux, games off the hdd for convenience etc. of course it lets you pirate easier than ever as well but that's up to the individual the hack itself isn't illegal.

Tips and hints:

Trademe is the perfect place to find an Xbox for this, there's a lot of people there that barley ever use them, and have never used them on live etc.

I used 1N4148 diodes from Jaycar.

You want your LPT cable to be as short as possible. I originally soldered a female DB25 port to the board, then just used a male to male LPT cable to connect to the PC. This cable was over a meter long and after taking 6 dumps of the onboard nand I never got 2 identical ones. I cut the cable down and made it roughly 15CM long. Then got to identical dumps in a row.

Mask off the area you're working on. I'm new to soldering and after finishing almost everything with no troubles I dropped a huge blob of solder on the motherboard which ran under the south bridge chip. It was damn near impossible to remove and until I did it resulted in either my DVD drive not working or red rings of death.

Use thin braided wire, solid core wire is too stiff and hard to maneuver in such a tight space.

Excuse the bad quality of the pics, I couldn't find my camera during the mod so the pics do not show the DB25 connector attached as I removed to it redo it properly (With braided wire this time).

The only wires required for the hack to work are the 3 you see on the pic, the Db25 connector is only required for reading and writing the nand initially.

And some Linux...

Last edited by Dstruktiv : 10-12-2009 at 11:22 AM.
Dstruktiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 12:03 PM   #2
Growly
Meow

Finally! I've been waiting for this! Cheers
Growly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 12:57 PM   #3
Dstruktiv

Another very good guide:

http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=698328
Old 10-12-2009, 01:29 PM   #4
cAPTAIN^k

A true inspiration to those of us who have been sitting on the fence for a long time now
cAPTAIN^k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 02:42 PM   #5
Dstruktiv

This can also be used to fix consoles that have screwed dvd drives etc. You can get your CPU key, which lets you figure out the DVD key, which lets you use any dvd drive in the 360 by either A) Wirting your DVD key to the replacement DVD drive or B) If you know the dvd key stored on the replacement drive, you can write this key in to your nand so they play nicely together.

Of course I doubt it will be long before the DVD drive authentication is patched out... They've already doen it for the HDD authentication.
Old 11-12-2009, 10:53 PM   #6
Dstruktiv

Released a tool if anyone's interested in playing Xbox live arcade games that they actually own on their modded consoles...

http://www.digitalreality.co.nz/xbox360/?p=48
Old 14-12-2009, 05:47 PM   #7
Dstruktiv

Have released updated Windows and Linux versions of the tool above at http://www.digitalreality.co.nz/xbox360/?p=48

And also soldered on a more permanent solution for the DB25/LPT cable so I can flash my Nand at will without opening the box anymore...

Old 14-12-2009, 08:25 PM   #8
k14

Nice work! I remember soldering the 30 odd wires of my xecuter modchip on the original xbox. I've had a 360 for quite a while now and use it mainly as a media centre. I may have a look at this mod, pain not being able to play h.264 files! Only thing stopping me is I have no parallel port on my pc. Do you use a USB one? I see most people recommend not to?

Edit: Gah, just found out I shouldn't have updated my box to the latest dashboard. Oh well, I'm sure it will be cracked in the near future!

Last edited by k14 : 14-12-2009 at 08:42 PM.
k14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2009, 12:19 AM   #9
diddle

Im getting mine done tomorrow er today by tronix http://www.tronix.co.nz/xbox-360-jta...mod-p-515.html
diddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 03:36 PM   #10
Dstruktiv

How did your console turn out diddle lol, diddle?

The new XBR was released a few days a go that fixed the freezing issues and removed the media check from games/apps. I suppose you just missed out on having that pre installed on your box, did the guy who did the mod leave any way for you to flash it yourself or do you have to send it back to him?
Old 07-01-2010, 12:26 PM   #11
diddle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dstruktiv View Post
How did your console turn out diddle lol, diddle?

The new XBR was released a few days a go that fixed the freezing issues and removed the media check from games/apps. I suppose you just missed out on having that pre installed on your box, did the guy who did the mod leave any way for you to flash it yourself or do you have to send it back to him?
Awesome!

Yeah I had to extract then patch all my ISOs with X360GameHack.... then some games had laggy fps, they did warn me it wasnt perfect though.

Yeah a couple of days after I got it done they released a new version XBReboot v0.05 8955_3 I was gutted as i thought there was no way to update it as there was no socket left in the console.
I rang Matt @ tronix he said they use a USB method to program the NAND but they leave the JTAG wiring installed. once you have it installed you can update via USB stick he emailed me directions. it took about an hour to do I had to download a gentoox disc and use linux iFlash to program the latest version. it worked perfectly!

With the new version you dont need to use X360GameHack you can put an original game in and transfer it to your HDD (Im using an $80 250GB) and it will load faster and play perfectly without the disc.

I havent had a chance to check out the homebrew yet, Im going to try the MAME360 and SNES360 tonight.
Old 16-01-2010, 05:25 AM   #12
Dstruktiv

Nice glad to hear! I'm a member of XeDev - We make XexLoader etc. One of our guys has a made an app you just launch from NXE and it will update the flash - No need to muck around with cables or linux.

I also make QuickBoot, NXE2GOD and XBLA Unlocker, hopefully you'll come across at least one of them lol.

QuickBoot lets you launch games and apps straight from NXE without loading XexLoader first.

NXE2GOD lets you install games via NXE, then you run my app, then you no longer need the disc to launch it

And XBLA Unlocker converts trial arcade games to the full version.

QuickBoot:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssoFXFk9F3g

XBLA Unlocker:

http://www.digitalreality.co.nz/xbox360/?p=48

NXE2GOD:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ew5_UWBfXoA

Old 01-02-2010, 01:36 PM   #13
MoNk

You guys know a good place to mod a brand new Elite, late 2009, liteon?
Don't care much for XboxLive. Has been updated with all Dash updates.
Old 01-02-2010, 01:46 PM   #14
Dstruktiv

I would start here:

http://www.digitalreality.co.nz/xbox360/?p=19

Then here:

http://www.digitalreality.co.nz/xbox360/?p=13

And if you still think the console is exploitable then xmods.co.nz can do it, or if you know anyone with even basic soldering skills they will be able to do it for you

EDIT: Or do you mean a dvd drive mod? I'm not actually sure I have no experience with dvd drive mods, I'm more interested in unsigned code than burnt discs lol but I'm sure Xmods can do the dvd mods too.

Last edited by Dstruktiv : 01-02-2010 at 01:49 PM.
Old 02-02-2010, 06:40 AM   #15
MoNk

I'm after any type of mod really.

Have you heard of this guy before?
http://www.christchurchmods.co.nz/
Old 02-02-2010, 03:10 PM   #16
diddle

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoNk View Post

Ive heard of them on other forums seem all good
Old 02-02-2010, 06:02 PM   #17
CraZeD

Yawn, why do ppl use photobucket etc, try iforce, much better free hosting in NZ.

All I'm getting is bandwidth exceeded. lol
CraZeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 06:13 PM   #18
MoNk

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraZeD View Post
Yawn, why do ppl use photobucket etc, try iforce, much better free hosting in NZ.
Iforce always crashes on big multiple uploads.
I use imageshack. Much better.
Old 22-03-2010, 03:42 PM   #19
.weasel.
IT RETURNS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoNk View Post

my cousin went through this guy to get his console done, did a good job of it too.
Old 22-03-2010, 04:02 PM   #20
Dstruktiv

I have an exploitable console for sale if anyone is after one. It's a falcon model, it has never had rrod. It has HDMI. I can do the mod for a few extra $ if needed or can recommend some decent places that can do it. Comes with 60GB internal hdd, power cords, and wireless controller. PM me if interested.
Old 25-03-2010, 10:36 AM   #21
.weasel.
IT RETURNS!

Just a couple of tip's to anyone who is wanting to do a jtag mod to their xbox 360

Use kynar wire for the connections. I use this because soldering the connections in nice and easy. The only downside is it is quite thin, you need to be gentle. you can buy it by the meter from places like tronix.co.nz

lay the wire across the solder pad you wish to solder to, solder THROUGH the wire, let the solder flow to the joint, let it cool down, then gently flex the excess wire until it snaps away nice and cleanly.

Use either a low-watt soldering iron (15-20w) or a temp-controlled soldering iron.

As i found out recently, using an iron that is too hot runs the risk of lifting away the more delicate traces on a pcb... for my temp.controlled iron i set it to around 280 - 290deg.

If you lift away a trace accidentally, all is not lost, you can sometimes find an alternate soldering point on the PCB, or failing that, gently expose some copper of the track leading up to the soldering point with a sharp hobby knife or scalpel, and solder directly to that (like i had to do recently).

Last edited by .weasel. : 25-03-2010 at 06:44 PM.
.weasel. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2010, 05:44 PM   #22
look@myhooves

The soldering was the easy part.
The hard part was finding a computer with an LTP port, and then explaining to the owner why there was a bunch of wires sticking out the back... and that they were going to have to wait for 2 hours while I take 3 identical dumps etc etc.
look@myhooves is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: