PDA

View Full Version : cloudy water in water cooling sys

synth
26-08-2003, 10:07 PM
Hey

I'm getting cloudy water in my water cooling system it's only been about 3-4 days since i refilled it (with water from our dehumidfier) but the tubes have gone cloudy already....i havn't added anything to the water yet....any body got any ideas???

Thanx
Synth

SilverPriest
26-08-2003, 10:18 PM
Water from your dehumidifier is generally pretty grody dude.
It picks up all the **** that's in the air as well as water.
It's less sterile than tap water, and it sure as hell ain't pure.

My advice?
Flush your system, and refill it with pure water.
Your chemist should have some :)
Hell, I guess you could even use bottled spring water.

synth
26-08-2003, 10:20 PM
hrrrm well thats what i thought but decided that it would be real bad or good obviously its REAL bad :) cheers dude

-DC-
26-08-2003, 10:26 PM
got any UV cathodes? sometimes the UV makes it go cloudy :/

synth
26-08-2003, 11:13 PM
na no UV dude it's all natural :) umm would sunlight do that??....keep in mind it has only been 3-4 days.

ktulu
26-08-2003, 11:43 PM
It's cloudy cause bugs are growing in your system... just use tap water, it has chlorine in it which will slow down the bug growth. Sunlight/light will also speed up the bug growth... so using tubing that doesn't let light through will slow down the bug growth as well.
I use flourocein (sp?) which is inhibits bacterial growth.

Buster
27-08-2003, 02:54 AM
We used to use Fluoroscein (diluted) for pinpointing the exact location of condenser tube leaks. Under UV light shows up leaks real good.

Do you use it at work? or just in your pc water coolant.

ktulu
27-08-2003, 04:41 AM
we use it at work to trace drains and find leaks.

synth
27-08-2003, 12:23 PM
hrrrm yer i used tap water last time and it left a white residue on the tubes (which i have just swapped out) so i think i'm gonna go on the hunt for some distilled de-ionized water.

MoNk
27-08-2003, 12:42 PM
Here's a good place to post this :)

http://www.water-cooling.com/articles/waterwetter/waterwetter.php

BEFORE
http://www.water-cooling.com/articles/waterwetter/test1.jpg

ktulu
27-08-2003, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by synth
hrrrm yer i used tap water last time and it left a white residue on the tubes (which i have just swapped out) so i think i'm gonna go on the hunt for some distilled de-ionized water.

Distilled/de-ionized water will go cloudy as well, as it has no chlorine in it to kill off the bugs. Theoretically they shouldn't grow as there should be no "food" in the water for them... but I spent 8 years in a chemistry lab... and I've seen bugs still grow in containers of distilled water.

synth
27-08-2003, 01:04 PM
what about a small amount of "inhibiter" mixed in will that stop the growth??

evilangel
27-08-2003, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by ktulu
It's cloudy cause bugs are growing in your system... just use tap water, it has chlorine in it which will slow down the bug growth. Sunlight/light will also speed up the bug growth... so using tubing that doesn't let light through will slow down the bug growth as well.
I use flourocein (sp?) which is inhibits bacterial growth.

alternative to kill or stop bugs growing in your system

add a few drops of bleach or pams trident toilet cleaner both contain chlorine
if a crappy poseidon can handle it then any system should

ktulu
27-08-2003, 10:08 PM
I've used domestos as well.
I've seen panabath used before (it's an inhibitor)... but it's just as murky as bugs.

synth
28-08-2003, 08:21 AM
hrrrm yer true didn't think of bleach...how much?? literally a few drops there is probably 2-3litre total water in my system...

Solid Snake
30-08-2003, 07:05 PM
That won't be enough to sterlize your solution. I added about 10-12% bleach to my water coolant ****tail. I haven't had any problems so far.

imdying
30-08-2003, 08:46 PM
Teheee.. you said ****tail :D

Sigh... right, I plan to use 35-40% automotive coolant, 10% bleach, the rest good old Christchurch tap water :)

MoNk
30-08-2003, 08:56 PM
ARG! You're kidding right? Only 50% water?

I just put 100mls to 2L of Rad Treatment in. Going well so far.

imdying
30-08-2003, 09:26 PM
My bad? I'm doing a little research now, but googling for water cooling water is a little difficult :D

Buster
30-08-2003, 09:29 PM
Apparently 100% water transfers heat the best, but you need additives to stop growth. I just use about 15% antifreeze to prevent electrolisis etc. I prefer a closed system.

MoNk
30-08-2003, 09:29 PM
Generally the more crap you put in the water the worse it performs.
http://forums.procooling.com should help you find out some things. :)

imdying
30-08-2003, 09:40 PM
Thanks guys :)

synth
02-09-2003, 12:49 PM
hrrrm so a little bleach and a little inhibitor prehaps 10-15% all up and i should be fine is what i gather....thanks guys

synth
08-09-2003, 01:12 PM
well just an update....changed out the sh##$y water and put in tap water with some inhibitor and low and behold my temps dropped about 5-7 degrees C i put this down to the surface tension of the water being lower than before.

cheers

A Bro At Home
23-09-2003, 11:05 AM
Hey all

I work for an engine company and would like to point out a few thing about coolant.

You should use coolant if you are water cooling the benfits are well worth it, the coolant we sell contains demineralized water chemical inhibitors which eliminates hard water scale deposits and pitting of aluminum parts and solder which is in your radiator,there is also silicate in this coolant this will make the water softer so it can flow smothly.It will not harm rubber seals and hoses.

for more info please e-mail me
matthew.g.lea@cummins.com

cheers

synth
25-09-2003, 08:33 PM
hrrrm thats not allfloc (sp?) that your talking about???

ktulu
25-09-2003, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by synth
hrrrm thats not allfloc (sp?) that your talking about???
I wouldn't think so... allfloc sounds like a floculating agent... he sounds like he's talking about a water conditioner.